Thursday 28 July 2011

Angry Boys

Well, it's over. Angry Boys, the latest project from Chris Lilley, is spent.

Was it just me or did this series go on for ages? I really wanted to love it and there were moments that I almost did. But really the title says it all. It was just a whole lot of angry people taking it out on others. I didn't identify with any of the characters and the plotting was so plodding that if you missed an episode or two it didn't matter.

Gran was far and away the most compelling character. Her quiet contemplation as she reflected on moving to a new stage of life were a welcome relief in a barrage of horribleness from most of the other characters.

Overall the irony was laid on too thick.

It was strange though, after not enjoying the series, when it all pulled together at the end I was moved. It was predictable that they all turn up for the party but when it actually happened I was genuinely stoked for Nathan. I guess it proves that you can stuff up everything else but if you get the ending right you can just about pull it off. The power of story.

So what's next in Australian TV? Crownies maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment